– [Voiceover] Here. (playful music, featuring a trumpet)
– Mars and I have been cat human buddies for about five years now. He’s just this, he’s the biggest stoner cat. He just loves to sit around, eat, he loves being in bags, I don’t know what to say, he just loves being in bags.
– This is my cat Riceball, he’s very friendly, he’s more like a dog cat, He like, he does not afraid of people, he doesn’t scratch, or anything. No, he has never been outside before, but when I moved out to LA, I did brought him with me, but he’s never been actually, physically on the ground.
– My name in Rocco, and I love cats. More than I could love anything else. My first adult job, being a cat care attendant at the SPCA, and moved into cat behavior specialist at the San Francisco SPCA. This guy is like, the most special cat I’ve ever met. I just was realizing that I wouldn’t sell him for a million dollars.
I think the benefits of walking a cat on a leash is that they do get that outdoor time, but then there’s no chance that they’re going to get mauled or carried away by a coyote. I would say the first piece of advice I have, not all cats are gonna take to a harness.
– [Devin] Can you stay still for a second? Stay still. No.
– So right now I’m trying to put the leash on him.
– I’m not hurting my cat, I promise, I’m just kind of making him do something that is good for him ultimately.
– [Iris] Riceball thank you! But you have to come back!
– If your cat freezes in the harness, then you’re going to have to work on its relationship to being inside that harness before you can take it outside.
– So, I had to call in backup, this is my roommate Abby, we are going to attempt to put this on him. Yay, the harness is on!
– Oh, but you look so cute in this!
– He doesn’t look happy, does he?
– [Abby] No, no, that’s not a happy cat right there.
– [Devin] He does not look happy.
– Okay, I heard you.
– The best advice with any type of behavioral issue with a cat is try to figure out how to work with them. Because if it knows you want something, it’s not going to do it. So if you want them to do something, then you’re gonna have to figure out how to trick them into thinking that they want it.
– What is this? Look at it! Oh! Oh! He’s walking with me!
– Here we go! Let’s try this. No, let’s go this way. No, let’s go this way. (Mars meows) Mars!
– [Iris] Let’s go, let’s go. Let’s go, treat!
– [Devin] Mars, c’mon. C’mon baby. We’re just gonna go, no, we’re just gonna go on a little walk.
Look at her!
– He’s stressing me out, I’m really, this is really stressful. This is very, very stressful. Uh, he’s not liking this, at all.
– Oh he’s, he’s doing better than I thought. I thought he was just gonna, like, sitting in one corner, and doesn’t move at all. But he’s making some kind of process. C’mon, let’s go!
– Mars is now wedged in between my neighbors hedge and my front porch.
– We probably walked, like, three steps out of apartment? The apartment door is right there.
– I just feel like maybe this wasn’t for him. Right? You wanna go back inside?
– And cats, we’re built to serve them. That’s why the ancient Egyptian’s worshipped them, you know what I mean? I live to serve my cat, and that’s honest. So, if he wants to go on a walk, I’m gonna provide that service.